Monday 5 January 2009

Happy New Year to everyone

After an extended break things are back up and running here, so what have i been listening to over the festive period i hear you ask? Well the Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan EP is superb, better i think than their second album, and other than that Santa seemed to be Canadian this year, delivering Neil Young's Sugar Mountain and Kathleen Edwards' third album, Asking For Flowers. I recommend both, but as you've probably heard of the former and not the latter, here's a link to her WEBSITE.

Now she won't be making the cover of NME or OMM anytime soon, but she's a vintage style rocker, with a great sound and voice, and some bite to her lyrics. I think her first album, Failer, is still my favourite, but fans of Tom Petty, My Morning Jacket, Lucinda Willams etc. would do well to check any of her three out.

And talking of Canada, my best man Pete (a pale Englishman working at CBC) has sent me his top ten Canadian releases for '08, which i'll post here tomorrow...

No comments: